Friday, April 4, 2008

The Varied Thrush



This is a picture of a healthy Varied Thrush. I have in my house an unhealthy Varied Thrush. I was painting the inside of our house the other day and Tyler comes running in telling me he has found a bird with a broken wing. So, we catch it and are going to nurse it back to health, right? Well, upon further examination, not only does this poor bird have a broken wing, it has a broken foot too. Tyler asked me to call a vet, which I did, and they said that the bird will probably die no matter what we do. Birds with broken wings can heal, but birds from the wild brought into captivity do not do well at all. Tyler has such a sensitive heart. He made a little home for it. A box with hay, bird seed and water. Complete with twigs in case the bird wants to perch. Tyler has been hand feeding this bird worms, he takes it outside for some fresh air, and even tries to let it get some excercise, which basically means that the bird tries to run and get away from him.
Being the homeschool mom that I am have turned this into a great homeschool project. We can tell you anything you want to know about the Varied Thrush. It has been an adventure to say the least.
Tyler is trying so hard to help let this bird live. I think that we have the most prayed for bird ever. But, I am glad that Tyler understands that it may not live despite his best efforts. And, he is really thinking about releasing it this weekend. But he is undecided. He has grown a little attached to it. I will keep you posted. Please pray for Tyler and his little bird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tyler,
Our Saviour did the same thing when my wing and leg were broke, He had hope as you do for your bird! Tyler I see the love of the Father in you and I will be praying that your faith will abound!!!
Love you,
Kelley

Anonymous said...

Okay Shannon,
I'm tired of looking at this bird pic!!! What's up? MORE PICS PLEASE!!! Surely, your house looks different! How's the bird? Did it survive?
love and kisses,
s